Sunday, June 12, 2011

Day Six: Porch read

Today I read a little more of Practical Jean, the novel that won Trevor Cole the Stephen Leacock Medal.  Read outside on my parents' lovely porch, in their comfy wicker couch, while the breeze blew gently through the trees and the sun shone down on all.  No rain in this part of the world, at least for today. 

And then my aunt and uncle stopped by for a surprise visit.  They stayed for a barbecue and then we all went down to Dunnville for the Mudcat Festival fireworks.  (I don't know exactly what the fireworks were/are for, but they were pretty spectacular.)

And I felt like a child again, watching them.  There was a family sitting just next to us on the grass, and they had two little girls that reminded me of myself and my sister when we were young--so excited to be there, snuggling under their blanket together.  They laughed and laughed when the fireworks came on.  So cute.

It was a simple day, but an exciting one all the same.  And the simple but exciting pleasures of today--reading out on the porch, barbecued veggie burgers, waiting for fireworks--reminded me so much of what it felt like, being a child.  To look forward to things, to really truly enjoy the things that lay around you, whether they be surprise visits or reading a good book or fireworks exploding in the sky. 

Some time into her newness project, the writer Kathleen Winter posted an entry about how her search for newness had the tendency to culminate in a bunch of new things, all at once.  Today I feel like my resolve to rejoice in one single thing each day has culminated in an entire day's worth of rejoicing.  This is a good feeling.  It gives me hope for the project, for the future, for myself.  For the 359 days ahead of me that might hold treasures such as this.  How lovely, indeed. 

3 comments:

  1. Did I already know you're vegetarian? Me too! I know. This is getting weird. Why are we geographically so far apart. WHY.

    Your day sounds absolutely lovely. We have that kind of day today. I think we're going to head to the County and check out the bookshop and cafe and then get gelato and walk a grassy trail. Then I'm meeting a friend for tea.

    Sounds like stuff is happening, but unfortunately, this kind of thing is, like, once a year.

    I wish, I earnestly wish, we could live close together. I feel what you're going through, I admire what you're doing. And I wish I could give you a tangible hug and convince you that things will be all right, that you have more talent than you give yourself credit for. Who cares about how great other authors are, who cares. I understand that feeling of inadequacy in their light. But I will never let that stop me. Nor let it get me down. Nor do you have any valid reason to feel so discouraged. I promise you.

    Love,
    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like an absolutely perfect day. I'm glad you got to experience it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a positively perfect day.

    ReplyDelete